Monday 21 December 2009

Rise of the Idiots



A new and horrifying beast stalks our land. Young people everywhere are falling victim to the monster's ceaseless hunger for human minds. I speak, of course, of the rise and rise of the (mis)use of the term "literally".

Regular readers, both of them, will know me as something of a pedantic fascist (or, more accurately, a fascistic pedant). To this charge I can only plead guilty, but I still think this is a uniquely grave situation. Don't make this about me.

Thing is, poor English has been around for ever, but this is new. A ridiculous number of the people with whom I associate (and can't just kill - some of them are actually quite nice) use literally to mean virtually/almost/very much. I've even, gulp, done it myself. People these days do seem to exaggerate ("it was the biggest glass of wine I have ever seen") and literally seems have become the exaggerator's weapon of choice ("it was literally the biggest glass of wine I have ever seen"). For all of them. All the time. Not to exaggerate.

The worst offences I've ever seen (literally) are the following (from football - an incomparable source of stupidity):

  • "He's literally on fire at the moment" - Jamie Redknapp, discussing Robin Van Persie's good form

And, most awesomely of all:

  • "The defender is literally, literally right up his backside" - Andy Townsend, discussing some close marking. He said it twice!

None of my associates have quite reached these heights/depths yet, but it doesn't matter - I am jarred by the word's misuse about 15 times a day. I'm (not literally) going round the bend.

*Update* - While hunting for the above graphic I stumbled upon this article, which (literally?) blows my argument out of the water.

1 comment:

  1. I just really think life is too short to be consumed with grammar angst. You must take after your mother.

    Though this does make me think of an awesome 'Roasted' strip...I must hunt that down and show it to you!

    ReplyDelete