Wednesday 20 May 2009

Pawnography


As it does every year, the Guardian is currently laying on the hype for the Hay Festival, in Hay-on-Wye, which starts tomorrow and goes on for a crushing 10 days. I say crushing, but it's actually great, assuming you're as middle class as I am.
Anyway, I mention this because it gives me an opportunity to wank over their star speaker, David Simon, who's interviewed today in, you guessed it, the Guardian. It's quite interesting. Have a read.
The man is pretty close to deity status for me, though, I will admit, he does have some slightly irritating character traits, such as preachy moralism and the inevitable bloated ego that comes from producing the greatest show in the history of television. I speak, of course, of The Wire, about which, if you've seen it, you almost certainly already agree with me, and if you haven't, that you're almost certainly sick of hearing about from cheap pimps like me. I wouldn't blame you if you never wanted to see it, so much do its cheerleaders, er, cheer for it. I wouldn't blame you, but you'd still be making a horrible mistake. It's the best show in the history of television, for David Simon's sake, are you really too busy for that?

No comments:

Post a Comment